About to get engaged? Buchroeders is your engagement ring destination.
When looking for diamond engagement rings online, narrowing down what you like and don’t like can be difficult. If you find yourself in this position, we recommend you start with two things- your preferred metal type: white gold, rose gold, yellow gold, or platinum and your diamond shape.
You might be familiar with a pear-shaped engagement ring or a princess-cut engagement ring, but one that can be overlooked is a radiant-cut engagement ring. Whether purchasing your engagement ring online at brdiamonds.com or coming to see us in person, our team is ready to help you find your dream diamond ring.
What is a Radiant Cut Diamond?
Radiant-cut diamonds are similar in shape to an emerald, but their facets are cut like brilliant round diamonds. This unique cut gives radiant cut diamonds a unique sparkle and the ability to capture light.
When we look at diamonds, the sparkle is about how the light reflects off the stone, and a radiant-cut diamond engagement ring captures light at all angles.
Radiant-cut diamonds combine two traditional favorites, an emerald-cut diamond, and a brilliant round diamond, to create a modern-style diamond engagement ring. Radiant-cut diamonds are new to the diamond industry, making their debut in 1977. This makes radiant diamonds young compared to a pear-shaped diamond first seen around 1475!
One of the most incredible things about finding your engagement ring is learning what diamond shape fits you best and the origins and history behind your chosen engagement ring. Radiant-cut diamonds were created by a diamond cutter in New York in 1977 by Hentry Grossbard. He wanted to make a square-cut diamond with the added brilliance of a modern round-cut diamond. After trial and error, Grossbard landed on 66 facets for radiant-cut diamonds. These 66 facets created a beautiful, light-capturing radiant-cut diamond.
Facts about Radiant-Cut Diamonds
- Radiant cut diamonds are a unique and stunning diamond shape that offers a brilliant facet pattern and cropped corners, creating a square or rectangular shape. What makes them special is their incredible ability to maximize a diamond's fiery sparkle while highlighting the diamond's clarity.
- Radiant cut diamonds typically have fewer facets than other diamond shapes, such as round brilliants or princess cuts. This allows for larger and more symmetrical facets that capture and reflect light in a stunning way. Additionally, their cropped corners make them ideal for pairing with other diamond shapes, such as emerald or pear-shaped diamonds, to create a unique and striking design.
- The versatility of radiant cut diamonds is another factor that makes them special. They are ideal for a range of settings, including classic solitaires, halo designs, or even three-stone rings. They can also be set in a range of metals, from classic yellow gold to trendy rose gold or sleek platinum.
Radiant Cut VS. Oval Cut Diamond
A radiant cut engagement ring is a hybrid between a round cut engagement ring and an emerald cut diamond engagement ring. We are comparing a radiant diamond engagement ring to an oval engagement ring for a few reasons. The main difference between a radiant engagement ring and an oval engagement ring is how corners are cut; their main similarity is the same. Essentially, oval engagement rings and radiant engagement rings have a similar sparkle because of their facets, but their edges are different. If you like a geometric pattern, a radiant will be the stone for you, but if you want a more organic line, you’d be more likely to choose an oval.
- Shape: The radiant cut has a square or rectangular shape with cropped corners and a brilliant facet pattern, while the oval cut is elongated and features a more traditional facet pattern.
- Appearance: Radiant cut diamonds have a more modern appearance, with their cropped corners and symmetrical facets that give them a highly reflective and fiery sparkle. In contrast, oval cut diamonds have a more classic, timeless appearance with their elongated shape and traditional facet pattern that emphasizes their natural beauty.
- Size Comparison: In terms of size, oval cut diamonds tend to look larger than radiant cut diamonds of the same carat weight due to their elongated shape. However, radiant cut diamonds tend to have a greater depth and a higher profile, which can make them appear larger when viewed from the top.
- Clarity: When it comes to clarity, radiant cut diamonds tend to highlight a diamond's clarity due to their fewer facets and larger table, making them an excellent option for those who prioritize clarity. On the other hand, oval cut diamonds tend to be less forgiving in terms of clarity, as their elongated shape can emphasize inclusions or imperfections.
- Conclusion: Ultimately, both radiant cut and oval cut diamonds are beautiful and unique in their own ways. The best choice for you will depend on your personal style and preferences. At Buchroeders Jewelers, we offer a vast selection of natural and lab-grown radiant and oval cut diamonds, each expertly selected by our team of diamond experts.
Radiant Cut VS. Emerald Cut Diamond
If you love emerald-cut engagement rings but are considering something less traditional, a radiant engagement ring might be your perfect choice! While these two diamond shapes look similar at first glance, some differences exist. Emerald-cut engagement rings are often tied to the Art Deco era because of their clean lines and perfect symmetry. The art deco era saw an appreciation for geometric shapes and patterns in fashion, architecture, and design; diamonds were no exception.
Emerald-cut diamonds are step-cut diamonds, and when you observe an emerald-cut engagement ring, you can see the “steps” that lead down to the diamond’s center. The unique cut of an emerald engagement ring gives an effect like a “hall of mirrors.” This is one of the distinct differences between an emerald-cut engagement ring and a radiant engagement ring.
Radiant diamonds have a more contemporary cutting style that creates an effect that almost looks like crushed ice. Radiant diamonds are one of the most faceted diamond cuts, and they were specifically designed to capture as much light as possible to create maximum sparkle.
- Key difference: Emerald cut diamonds and radiant cut diamonds are popular diamond shapes with distinct features. The emerald cut has a rectangular shape with cropped corners and a step-cut facet pattern, while the radiant cut has a square or rectangular shape with cropped corners and a brilliant facet pattern.
- Appearance: Emerald cut diamonds are known for their elegant, sophisticated look and long, straight lines. They are cut with fewer facets than other diamond shapes, which highlights the diamond's clarity and gives the diamond a unique and understated sparkle. Radiant cut diamonds, on the other hand, have a modern and fiery appearance due to their symmetrical facets and cropped corners, which create a dazzling sparkle that is sure to turn heads.
- Size Comparison: In terms of size, emerald cut diamonds tend to look larger than radiant cut diamonds of the same carat weight due to their elongated shape. However, radiant cut diamonds have a greater depth and a higher profile, which can make them appear larger when viewed from the top.
- Clarity: When it comes to clarity, both diamond shapes are known for highlighting the clarity of the diamond due to their fewer facets. However, the elongated shape of emerald cut diamonds can also emphasize any inclusions or imperfections.
- Conclusion: Whatever you choose, Buchroeders Jewelers is committed to making sure you love your diamond. If you are one that leans towards clean cut lines and geometric shapes, an emerald is a great choice for you, but if you want something more organic a radiant diamond will draw your eye.
What’s the cut for me? Emerald or Radiant Engagement Rings?
Vintage or Modern: Do you consider yourself more of a modern woman or have a more vintage appeal? If you are a sleep and modern woman, a radiant cut engagement ring will be the best choice if you are stuck between an emerald engagement ring and a radiant engagement ring.
If you are a vintage-loving lady, you’ll capture the stunning elegance of the art deco era when selecting an emerald-cut engagement ring.
Bigger Diamond or More Sparkle: Consider if size or sparkle is more important to you. If you want to shine from a mile away, a radiant diamond is the engagement ring you’ll fall in love with! If size matters more, we recommend you lean toward an emerald engagement ring.
Classy or Sassy: If you are a woman who orders a bright pink cosmo at the bar, you lean towards a classic and timeless style. If your drink is cosmopolitan, an emerald-cut engagement ring will fit your personality like a glove.
If you need an extra dirty martini after a long day, we know a radiant diamond will shine as bright as your personality.
Radiant-Cut Diamond Engagement Rings In Summary.
Creating a custom engagement ring with a radiant cut diamond is a wonderful way to craft a one-of-a-kind engagement ring that is uniquely yours. At Buchroeders Jewelers, we specialize in creating custom engagement rings that perfectly capture your personal style and preferences.
Radiant-cut engagement rings are an excellent choice for anyone who loves a blend between old and new. If you are a modern woman who appreciates pieces of the past, a radiant diamond might be the perfect choice for you.
When held side-by-side with an emerald-cut engagement ring, your radiant diamond has significantly more sparkle and shine. The facets of the diamond create a sparkle that cannot be missed! The sparkle is similar to an oval engagement ring but blends the clean lines of an emerald.
What we love about radiant diamonds is their hybrid nature- not 100% geometric and not 100% organic. Not 100% traditional, but also not 100% modern. Because this diamond is such a perfect hybrid, it's a great neutral choice for anyone torn on when the diamond shape will be the best fit for them.
Our custom engagement ring design process is designed to be both enjoyable and stress-free. We'll work with you to create a design that perfectly fits your vision, incorporating your preferred metal type, diamond shape, and other design elements to make a ring that is truly unique. Our extensive selection of high-quality radiant cut diamonds allows you to choose the perfect stone to feature in your custom engagement ring.
Creating a custom engagement ring with us means that you have complete control over every aspect of the design, from the choice of diamond to the selection of the setting. This ensures that the final product is a custom engagement ring that perfectly represents your love and commitment.
At Buchroeders Jewelers, we are dedicated to providing you with a memorable and exceptional custom engagement ring experience. Trust us to help you create a radiant cut diamond engagement ring that will be cherished for a lifetime. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and begin creating your dream custom engagement ring.
Buchroeders wants you to love your diamond, so if you choose a diamond engagement ring you aren’t in love with, bring it back to us within 30 days of purchase with our Gotta Love It Guarantee, and we will find you your dream engagement ring.